Monday, September 26, 2011



Ok, so I wrote down on tumblr a little something about the film Melancholia - this is not a 'piece of literature' or a well-written text or anything like that because I can't write in English as I write in French. It's not supposed to be a review or an analysis either! It's just some thoughts I wanted to share, mainly intended to people who haven't seen Melancholia!
Just thought I’d write something about Melancholia of Lars Von Trier - I was wondering whether I would like it or not, because I had some prejudices about the director and his work (Cannes, Antichrist, etc)… But I finally got to see it a couple of days ago and loved it! I’m not going to sum it up so if you don’t know the plot and want a summary click here - but please watch the trailer I’ve put in this post anyway!

Melancholia starts with an amazing, very artistic opening sequence, then is divided into two parts, “Justine” (Kirsten Dunst) & “Claire” (Charlotte Gainsbourg) - this choice really makes sense because the film itself is about those two sisters that are in the same time opposite and complementary. The first part takes place within 24 hours. It shows Justine’s wedding, which is so fake, and from the beginning to the end, little by little, slowly goes wrong. In the second part, the wedding night seems far away and you’re suddenly back to reality. Then, the planet Melancholia comes to reverse a “normal” situation. Justine seems to find appeasement as the end of the world comes, while Claire becomes anxious, scared and obsessed by the planet and the upcoming collision.

What touched me was the way I was able to feel Justine’s depression. She’s so deeply sad and unconcerned by everything that Melancholia is like an outcome to her, something that has to happen. You’re supposed to feel empathy for Claire because she reacts like everyone would - and you do, because you just can’t accept the idea of death like that - but actually you mainly feel stirred by Justine.

Something I disliked, though, was the use of the shaky cam during ALL the movie, whereas the “Claire” chapter would have been stronger without it. But the cinematography was quite beautiful. And the prologue… So impressive and brilliant. It looked like a series of painting. The music was also an important component of the film, and for some reason I really linked it to Melancholia’s presence (when people watch it or think about it).